Wednesday, August 12, 2009

No sleep....

So, over the past month or so Abby has turned into a not-so-great sleeper. What happened to my little girl that would fall asleep if you laid her down wide awake? I ask myself this question several times and have come up with a few reasons I think she may not be sleeping, but as a preface here is what happened last night (the worst night so far):

  • 6:30pm Abby acted like she was tired, we gave her a bath and she went down for what we thought was the night, she has always gone to bed between 6 and 8 so this was nothing out of the normal to be going to bed at 6:30
  • 8:30 she woke up and didn't want a pacifier or a bottle, she just wanted to be up
  • 10:30 we changed her diaper, tried feeding her and she wasn't hungry, so we put her in the car to go for a drive hoping she would fall asleep, this has been working for the past couple days so we were hopeful it would work again...no such luck
  • 11:30 decide we are going to let her "cry it out" and put her in her crib where she continued to scream for 15+ minutes. She was so loud and so for the sake of sanity (and not waking up Alex) I decided to go and get her. I let her stay up until around 12:30am and she was clearly exhausted (she kept rubbing her eyes, putting her head down on the couch) so I tried the bottle with no luck and finally we went for another drive....and all was quiet in the back of the car. The relief that she was finally asleep was wonderful, so we came home and she stayed asleep until...
  • 3:40am crying, my thought was "really, are you serious"??? Yep, she was up again. JB and I were both up with her and the bottle didn't work and neither did the pacifier, so we both thought we were in for the long haul with her but to our surprise after a few puffs she took her bottle and fell asleep around 4:30am
  • 8:01am both kids awake. Abby was in a foul mood but after a big breakfast (eggs, sausage, waffles and oranges) she is semi-happy playing with Alex

Okay, onto the reasons I think she isn't sleeping:

  1. Our routine has changed; I am now working part time so she is able to nap more often and probably more peacefully since there aren't other children around her to wake her up
  2. She has begun the transition to the toddler room at daycare where she only gets one nap in the middle of the day. I have tried giving her just one nap at home and she is a bear to deal with, but I am thinking I better stick to my guns and keep her up so she skips her morning nap
  3. We went on vacation and she didn't sleep well at all, which is where this all began
  4. She has an upper respiratory infection and has started antibiotics this week, and I'm sure the pressure in her ears is uncomfortable, we have been giving her Motrin or Tylenol religiously to heed off the pain
  5. She has been teething

So frustrating to say the least! I will keep you posted as to how everything goes, but needed to vent and would take any advice you would like to give.

No comments: